1 medium onion cut into chunks
2 cups drained beans (white are best but I have used black and pinto beans as well)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor, pulse until blended. Stop occasionally to scrap the sides of the food processor.
2. Taste - if too dry add water; if too wet, add more rolled oats. The consistency should be somewhat thick and sticky rather than wet and runny.
3. Let mixture rest for 5 minutes.
4. Divide into 4 patties (they do not need to be well formed patties at this point) and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Let patties rest for another 5 minutes.
6. Cook patties in olive oil until nicely brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
I love these burgers but was confused how to get them onto the skillet at first. Although the mixture is much thicker, think of them like pancakes. Get the patties onto the grill in olive oil and then use the back of a wet spoon or spatula to flatten into desired shape (don't make the shape too thin - remember they are burgers!).