1 tablespoon or so Olive Oil
1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped somewhat small
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 jalapeno or to taste, minced*
1 cup organic vegetarian refried beans
1/2 cup cooked long grain brown rice**
1/2 cup grated fresh cauliflower (grate like cheese)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 whole grain organic tortillas***
1/2 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese
organic or homemade salsa
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and soften, stirring occasional until they become translucent and just begin to brown (5-10 minutes)
3. Add jalapeno and garlic, stir for just a minute to let garlic cook but without burning
4. Add beans, rice, cauliflower, vegetable broth and salt, stir to combine well. Continue heating over medium heat until hot and bubbly - only a few minutes. If the mixture seems too runny let it cook over low heat for a few minutes to thicken.
5. Heat tortilla in a dry skillet over medium heat (or directly over a gas flame like I do) to soften****
6. Top tortillas with one quarter of the bean mixture and one quarter of the cheese and roll up tightly.
7. Place in a greased (I use olive oil) baking pan and bake until tortillas are firm and crispy, about 20 minutes.
8. Serve with the salsa or any topping of your liking.
* The first three ingredients are actually optional. I added these to the original recipe for more flavor. But, if your kids are reluctant than this is a good place to remove something and then add them later. That said, these additions really add to the dish!
** I started the kids with white rice here but really there is so much flavor going on that they won't know the difference.
*** I started the kids on regular white tortillas. By the time I transitioned to whole grain they were already hooked and it didn't matter. Now, I look for Whole Grain Spelt flour tortillas at Whole Foods which taste really close. Spelt is an older version of wheat and it does contain gluten.
**** When heating tortillas it only take 5 or 10 seconds per side so watch closely or you will burn them.
The Organic Nanny's Guide to Raising Healthy Children