There are a million different recipes for Minestrone. Although there are a million different recipes for Minestrone Soup I have settled into this one because for me it's the perfect combination of convenience and flavor. Give this soup a try and then experiment to your own tastes!
1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
1 yellow onion, chopped roughly
2-3 carrots, sliced thin
2-3 celery, chopped
sea salt to taste
2-3 medium organic potatoes (yukon gold are my favorite but any will do), chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium zucchini, diced int 1/2 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1-2 teaspoons Italian spices (I use some combination oregano, marjoram, rosemary)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup tomato paste
6 cups vegetable stock
1 can drained and rinsed organic cannelloni beans
1 cup or so chopped hardy greens (I use cabbage but kale, chard, spinach would be nice)
handful of small pasta noodles (I use gluten free quinoa shells)
1. In a heavy bottom, large soup pot start the olive oil and butter over medium heat. When hot add the onion, carrots, celery and a little salt and pepper to taste. Saute until pretty soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add potatoes, zucchini, and a little more salt and pepper and keep going for another 10 minutes or so.
3. Add garlic, spices, red pepper flakes and tomato paste. Mix well and cook until fragrant - about 2 minutes.
4. Add stock, beans and a little more salt and pepper. Cook over medium - low heat (just bubbling a little) for another 10 minutes.
5. Add greens and pasta, 10 final minutes!
6. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch or two of parmesan cheese.