1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup or more of corn - fresh or frozen
1/2 or so of a large red pepper
1/4 cup or a handful of chopped cilantro
4 green onions, diced
Juice from 2 limes
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1. Cook quinoa. If time, soak quinoa in water for one hour or more. If not, remember to soak the grains in mesh strainer. Cook quinoa like rice, 2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa. Also, You may add some chicken or vegetable stock in the water to add flavor. Unlike rice, do not stir once the quinoa is simmering. The quinoa is done cooking when the water is absorbed.
2. Transfer cooked quinoa to a large bowl and allow it to cool.
3. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, cumin, black pepper and salt.
4. When the quinoa has cooled, add in black beans, corn, red bell pepper, green onions and cilantro.
5. Stir in dressing and toss to coat (sometime I add about 3/4 of the dressing and then increase to taste. That said, make sure you have plenty of dressing in this dish. Do not be afraid of the oil - olive oil is a wonderful source of Omega 3 fat.
6. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or more before serving.
Quinoa salad is remarkably versatile. Experiment with different veggies and seasonings. Just remember it's the cooked quinoa plus the veggies/bean/nuts/aromatics added in, plus the oil based dressing. I make versions of this dish all the time and enjoy leftovers all week.